Sunday, August 12, 2007

Old Testement Reading and Church

I was asked to do the Old Testement Reading for church today and it was Joel 2:8-32.  I thought when I found out what the reading was that it was a little lengthy, but it was in poetic form, so I went with it.  I found out after church that it was a misprint, but everything turned out alright because it did tell a story and the reading was fairly easy other than I did fumble a couple of times.  The readings and the theme of today's sermon was about the Holy Spirit.  It seems that the Holy Spirit is one of the hardest concepts to grasp and I don't claim to be an authority.

The Holy Spirit to me is the force you feel during great times, whether it is of a loss, hardship, comforting, etc.  I know in my times of worry this week when I've felt overwhelmed getting things ready for school, I have felt comforted after I've prayed and to me, I believe it's the Holy Spirit I'm feeling.  I know I felt the Holy Spirit once I accepted Jesus.  It was like a wave of relief rolled over my soul that I had never felt before.  

In my Sunday School class, a few weeks ago we talked about the Holy Spirit and we read different passages that showed evidence in the New Testement.  What I found enlightening however, was when members of the class gave their personal experiences and it made me feel good that others experienced it in similar fashion that I did.  One discussion was if people felt the Holy Spirit immediately after they have accepted Christ or does it happen later.  I'm not an expert, but I feel it is different in each experience since not one person is the same.  

On another note: I found a song that has really stuck with me by the christian group, MercyMe called Bring the Rain.  Here is a video from YouTube that someone made with the song.  Enjoy.

No comments: