Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Apostle's Creed Part 1

Today in church, our pastor talked about The Apostle's Creed, more specifically, the first line of the creed:I believe in God, the Father Almighty.  He talked about who God is and how do we believe in God, as individuals.  What does it take to believe in God?  His question is a valid one for Christians as we try to lead a Christian life.  My answer is this: I believe in God because I have felt his prescence in my life.  I have talked to him.  It is my faith that makes me believe.  I have seen things that I know occurred because I prayed for them.  A non-believer may say it must be coincidence, but to me, I know it's not. Faith plays a major role in believing.  One cannot see the physical prescence of wind.  It doesn't have a form. Yet we know the wind blows because we feel the air on our face, we see tree branches move, etc.  However, if we needed to see wind in a visual form, we wouldn't be able to show it because air itself is invisible.  

God is not a biological God.  He's not male or female, but he reveals himself to us in a fatherly form, at least to me.  I fully understand if someone wants to view God in another form, especially if they didn't know their father or didn't have a good fatherly figure in growing up.  Our pastor explained that although a woman has eggs, it takes a male to fertilize the egg, therefore, many people view God in the fatherly role.  I see his point in that.  If someone wants to view God as something other than a father, especially if they've had a bad experience, I am fine with that, as long as they come to know God.  I look forward to his series of sermons as we explore each line in the Apostle Creed.  It definitely made me think today.

1 comment:

John said...

I'm a little uneasy about feminizing God because of discomfort that some people may have with fathers or men in general. Such situations call for counseling and healing, not changing what the Word says about God.